What is the immune system?
Any substance that enters the body that the immune system does not recognize is known as an antigen. When an antigen enters our bodies, the immune response is triggered and the attack to get rid of it begins. Our immune system has the ability to destroy anything containing a particular antigen, including, germs, viruses, and cancer cells.
It's safe to say that without our immunity, we wouldn't be around too long because it is a tireless warrior protecting our health. There are bacteria and viruses everywhere, not to mention helminths (worms) and tiny mites that carry infection and our immune systems continuously fight all types of bacteria, viruses and various parasites.
We also use our immunity to fight and kill cancerous cells that can pop up in our systems and while of course it is not always successful as people still get cancer, those with a poor immune system get cancer at higher rates than individuals who take care of their immune system.
It is therefore extremely important to be sure and take care of our immune system health. Thankfully, some of the ways in which we can do this are also beneficial in other ways to our overall health.
What are some ways we can maximize the effectiveness of our immune system to stay as healthy as possible? Let's look at a few:
2. Stay away from tobacco smoke. Tobacco smoke ruins immunity, even if you aren't the actual smoker. Kids have an increased risk of getting middle ear infections and lung infections when exposed to second hand smoke by way of parents or family members smoking around them. Adults are more prone to getting bronchitis and pneumonia when exposed to tobacco smoke. The toxic ingredients in smoke lessen your ability to fight off all kinds of infections.
3. Cut down on alcohol. Those who excessively drink alcohol have an increased risk of getting infections from a poor immune system. Pulmonary infections are particularly likely to happen in heavy drinkers.
4. Eat probiotics. Probiotics are one of the best things to reach the mainstream. Probiotics are found in some yogurts as well as in capsule form. They consist of living spores of healthy bacteria or living organisms themselves. They colonize the gut and displace the "bad bacteria" that can make you sick. With probiotics, you can have a healthier gut immune system and can avoid gastrointestinal upset from bacteria or fungi in the gut.
6. Get vitamin D. Many people in the Northern Hemisphere are deficient in vitamin D and this can negatively affect immunity, particularly in the winter months. You can get vitamin D with exposure to the sun or you can take a high quality vitamin D supplement. As some people need a lot of vitamin D and others don't need as much, have your vitamin D level checked periodically until you find a dosage of vitamin D that brings your level into the normal range. In the summertime, just ten to fifteen minutes of direct sunlight per day can be a big benefit to your immune system.
7. Eat Shitake and Maitake mushrooms. Studies have shown that really concentrated extracts of these types of medicinal mushrooms have enhanced the immune system of women who have breast cancer. While eating the mushroom alone hasn't been studied, it may have a beneficial effect on the immune system of otherwise healthy people.
9. Raw Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar. Honey has antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties that can help improve your digestive system and help you stay healthy and fight disease. Begin your day with a cleansing tonic by mixing a spoonful of honey, the juice of one lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar info a cup of warm water and drink it. Not only will you experience an immediate boosts in your energy levels, you'll also fortify your immune system in the process.
10. Include Collodial Silver in your daily regimen. Colloidal silver is one of the most effective defenses against emerging strains of pathogens, because it's effective against bacterial, viral, and fungal infections. Whether used for immune support during acute flu or cold, or for preventive purposes, colloidal silver is a versatile natural remedy.
Implementing some or all of these 10 strategies will render a remarkable difference in the way your immune system functions. Leave us a comment and let us know which one's you plan to try. We'd love to hear from you.